Tuesday 27 August 2013

How to make a pallet star.

Currently there is this huge trend in recycling pallets. As with anything the overall look and finish of a product is only as beautiful as those who find it so and it comes down to a matter of personal taste. Personally I consider there to be a real charm and warmth in re-cycled wood as more often than not you get to see the life of the piece including some unique battle scars which can often become a feature to promote. That said please have a look at my pallet star that I made yesterday after spending the bank holiday Monday sifting through broken pallets and crates. Please read my step by step guide below to make your own!

   

Step one was to locate pallets you can usually find them discarded around industrial areas and by simply asking some companies will let you take them for free. I would advise if going to collect some pallets be mindful that they can be quite big and heavy so taking a hammer, handsaw and a crowbar if you have one would be an idea. I only have a relatively small car and had to break a few of the pallets up to get them in.

Secondly and watching for any rusty screws or nails you will need to check the pieces over to make sure they are ok and that they are suitable to use. To make the star you won't want wood with big cracks and splits in them.

Thirdly you will need to lay the wood down and find an arrangement that you like. Once you have this you can then draw your star onto the wood. I would advise drawing your star onto some card beforehand so you can trace round it for ease.

Next comes the cutting. If you happen to have a chop saw or a bench mounted saw that will save you time but don't worry if not as the cuts you will need to make are quite straight forward and at the end of the day if you go wrong at least you didn't pay for the timber! Cut each of your sections of pallet wood and then lay them out and check you are still happy with your design. Then lightly sand the wood.


Finally you need to attach all your sections together either using wooden batons or metal brackets to make your star whole and then its ready! One thing I have not mentioned in this post is the finish of your piece. I personally have opted for a natural finish where I have only added a coat of treatment against things like rot and woodworm just to be on the safe side.


Thanks for checking this out, I hope it inspires you to make something of your own.



3 comments:

Charlie said...

Hi Rob
I loved your star how inventive.
I think they would look good hanging on a wall as a Christmas decorations perhaps with some fairy lights or foliage?
Have you considered making some more and selling them I would love to buy one.
Keep up the good work

Unknown said...

Hi Charlie. Thanks for the comment. We do occasionally sell a couple of these on eBay but let me know if you want one as I would be happy to make you one if you like.
Regards.
Rob

Charlie said...

Hi Rob
Thanks for the offer thats a deal.
You better get cracking I saw my first Christmas display yesterday only 4 months to Christmas!!!
Regards
Charlie